CAMAROS.NET AND CAMARO PERFORMERS MAGAZINE

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's the Plan?

Well... at first I thought about fabbing up a new lip for the wheelhouse and putting on the new skin but that would require a way to roll the metal to make a new lip and then aquiring a shrinker/stretcher to make it bend. With the prices from NPD in California... it's just cheaper to buy a new wheelhouse. To make the curved upper cut line for the skin patch I used a small piece of sheetmetal, bent it into an L shape a little longer than the length I wanted it from the upper body line. Then drilled a hole the size of the tip of my Sharpie at the right length I was looking for. I ran the L shaped bracket along the upper body line with the Sharpie in the hole and BINGO! a cut line that is perfectly uniform from one end to the other and is exactly the same distance from the upper body line all the way across. Keep in mind that this is a smaller hole than the patch will cover. I made it purposefully smaller so that I have some metal left so I can temporarily lap the two pieces together with some clecos I bought for the welding process.

0 comments: